For those with OCD, there are natural treatment plans that may help manage symptoms. One of the most popular forms used today is aromatherapy. Here, we discuss the 7 best essential oils for OCD. Most people have a misunderstanding of what OCD is. This diagnosable mental health disorder has been mistaken by most people as someone who acts very cleanly, organized, and a bit high strung. Yes, ...
In this article, we discuss what the top 7 essential oils for diverticulitis are. Diverticulitis is a disease that forms along the digestive tract and is one of the most common intestinal health issues in the Western world. We will discuss how using essential oils can help.
It has been well known for hundreds, if not, thousands of years that essential oils help greatly with a number of health conditions. They have been used around the world, in almost every culture, and throughout time due to their beneficial healing qualities.
One of the health conditions people claim that they may help is called diverticulitis.
What is Diverticulitis?
Here is the definition found on Healthline:
“Diverticular disease develops when pouches form along your digestive tract, typically in your colon (large intestine). These pouches are known as diverticula. They form when weak spots in your intestinal wall balloon outward. Diverticulitis happens when diverticula become inflamed and in some cases infected. This can occur when feces or partially digested food blocks the opening of the diverticula.”
Causes and Symptoms
While there is no single known cause for the development of diverticular disease, there are factors that many believe lead to this condition.
These factors include:
- Low fiber diet
- Lack of exercise
- Diet high in animal fats and dairy
- Vitamin D deficiency
Symptoms of diverticulitis include:
- Severe abdominal pain – mostly in lower left side, sometimes the lower right
- Fever and chills
- Blood in stool
- Bleeding from rectum
First and foremost
This article is providing advice and suggestions for those who are suffering with diverticulitis and looking for at home remedies. Always consult with your primary care provider about the treatment of your condition.
The Top 7 Essential Oils for Diverticulitis
- Peppermint essential oil is one of the most popular of the top 7 essential oils for diverticulitis due to the soothing benefits it has on the digestive system. It also has antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. It helps those with diverticulitis because it relieves stomach pain and stimulates colon contraction. Those with diarrhea and nausea may also find relief with peppermint oil. To use safely, dilute with a carrier oil, such as coconut or almond oil. If no carrier oil is used, it may cause a burning sensation on the skin and redness to occur. Mix with a carrier oil and apply directly to the stomach with a cotton ball.
- Chamomile essential oil has been known to relieve many gastrointestinal conditions due to its many beneficial properties. These include anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, antispasmodic, spasmolytic, and anxiolytic. Chamomile essential oil soothes the intestines, heals infection, and improves digestive functions and is why it is one of the top 7 essential oils for diverticulitis.
- Rosemary essential oil is known for relieving pain and some of the other major problems caused by diverticulitis. This is due to antiviral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, carminative, stimulant, and digestive properties. It has an antiseptic effect on the infection of the colon caused by diverticulitis.
- Clove essential oil prevents bloating, nausea, gas, diarrhea, and intestinal spasms. It also smooths the inner lining of muscle throughout the digestive tract. The qualities that clove essential oil has are antibacterial, antiviral, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, carminative, anthelmintic, and stimulant. It is a highly potent oil and is a powerful aid for those with diverticulitis.
- Lavender essential oil has a plethora of uses and benefits, including helping those with diverticulitis. Studies have found that lavender oil has pain relieving qualities similar to prescription pain medication when applied topically. It also relaxes and soothes the muscles in the digestive tract. Alongside being carminative, it is antibacterial and antifungal.
- Cinnamon is one of the top 7 essential oils for diverticulitis because of its relieving qualities for bloating and stomach distention. It also relieves the muscles in the intestine which helps expel gas. The other properties cinnamon oil possesses are antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, anthelmintic, and anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric essential oil can provide relief for those suffering with diverticulitis because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been used for centuries in ayurvedic medicine as for healing the digestive system and now is being studied by Western medicine for its ability to help with gut inflammation and gut permeability.
Other home remedies to try
While the top 7 essential oils for diverticulitis have helped many people who are suffering, there are other methods to include in at-home healthcare routines.
Drinking aloe vera water twice per day is known to heal digestive disorders and soothe intestinal pain, for instance. There are also many different herbs and teas that will also help.
The use of aromatherapy and essential oils, however, has many amazing health benefits for diverticulitis.