One of the great milestones in every woman’s life is when she reaches menopause. Granted, it is dreaded for most of her life, but it is inevitable. There is no running away from the hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and weight gain. There are, fortunately, ways to manage symptoms to make menopause more bearable. Essential oils are one of those ways. Let’s take a look at what the 7 most effe...
Rosacea is a skin condition affecting .5 to 10 percent of the population. While this condition might be frustrating to manage, there are natural treatment methods that can provide relief. One of these treatments is using essential oils. Below, we will discuss the 7 best essential oils for rosacea.
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a skin condition characterized by reddened and inflamed skin, usually occurring on your cheeks and nose. It can spread to your forehead, chest, back, ears, and in severe cases, eyelids. It commonly develops in teenage years to your 20s and gets gradually worse in your 30s or 40s.
There are four subtypes of rosacea, although many people experience symptoms from more than one subtype at a time.
Signs and symptoms of rosacea include:
- Redness in the center of the face, including cheeks and nose
- Swelling and painful skin
- Dry, rough, scaly, or itchy patches
- Stinging or burning sensations
- Feeling hot or sweaty
- Sun sensitivity
- Breakouts, small zits or bumps, and oily skin
- Enlarged and inflamed pores
- Bumpy skin
- Plaques – raised patches of skin
- Visible, broken blood vessels called “spider veins”
- Sensitive skin around the eyes
When someone has rosacea, they experience what are called “flare-ups”, where their skin suddenly reacts and they experience one or more symptoms. There is not a clear cause for these flare-ups and can vary from person to person.
For those living with rosacea, their life may become about battling these flare-ups and finding out what triggers them. This can be a frustrating fight to have with your skin and take a toll on your mental health. Finding a proper treatment option that works best for your unique skin is important.
Dermatologists can help manage symptoms with prescribed creams, gels, or antibiotics. However, these do not necessarily treat the underlying cause or rosacea.
Many different skin conditions have been linked directly to an issue with the gut, such as inflammation. Because of this, many people with rosacea make necessary diet changes to heal their gut, avoid common allergens that cause inflammation, and incorporate more anti-inflammatory foods in their diet.
Another option people have turned to is using essential oils for rosacea.
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years to treat skin conditions and are still popularly used today. In fact, in India over 80% of the population rely on essential oils, among other completely natural and herbal treatments for skin conditions. The power of essential oils is very real and can help alleviate the frustrating – and even the painful – symptoms of rosacea.
Using essential oils for rosacea is a method that many have turned to for a treatment option, or to incorporate into their treatment plan. Consulting with your doctor is of the utmost importance because severe skin conditions can be a sign of an underlying health condition.
7 Best Essential Oils for Rosacea
- Turmeric essential oil. Turmeric is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatories found in nature. Turmeric essential oil will help soothe the inflamed, irritated skin and provide a sense of relief when used.
- Tea tree essential oil. Many people with rosacea have claimed that tea tree essential oil is their secret weapon. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial and works wonders on many different skin conditions. This can be diluted and applied directly to the face.
- Lavender essential oil. Lavender essential oil is far more than a relaxing and floral scent. It has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiviral, and antiseptic properties. It has been scientifically studied and proven to aid in wound healing and calm inflammation of the skin.
- Geranium essential oil. Geranium is one of the best essential oils for rosacea because of its ability to soothe redness and irritation. It calms inflammation, expedites wound healing, and diminishes bacterial overgrowth of the skin – all important factors when it comes to treating rosacea.
- Cypress essential oil. Cypress essential oil has been popularly used to soothe rashes, wounds, acne, and clogged pores, making it an excellent tool for treating harsh rosacea symptoms.
- Helichrysum essential oil. Also known as immortelle, helichrysum essential oil is widely known to treat a variety of skin conditions, including rosacea, eczema, acne, and psoriasis.
- Rose essential oil. Rose essential oil has been scientifically proven to be one of the best skincare options in holistic health. It is known to have powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-aging, and wound healing properties. At the same time, it is gentle enough to use on sensitive rosacea skin.
Dilute with Coconut Oil
In order to safely use essential oils for rosacea symptoms, it is vital that you dilute them with a carrier oil. This is because essential oils are highly concentrated and can cause further skin irritation to already-sensitive skin. Using coconut oil is the best carrier oil option because it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that will aid symptoms. It is also highly moisturizing, which is needed for dry, rough patches of skin.